PDA

View Full Version : Monologues???

ballerinagirl
01-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Not sure if this is exactly the right place for this, but I'm not sure where else it ought to go.

I'm looking for monologues (about anything, really - finding appropriate stuff is SO hard and I have my scene study tutorial early next week and he's going to shoot me if I haven't done a damn thing:sarcasm), and I was specifically wondering if anyone knew of any monologues on the subject of eating disorders, depression, self-injury? Criteria: HAS to be from a published PLAY, I need to be able to FIND the play to read the whole thing, and it should be modern - ie. this past century, preferably from nineteen-forty on. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it! You can email me - it's in my signature. This isn't for auditioning, just for fussing with in my practical classes at school.

Sarah

puppet
01-23-2003, 11:44 PM
HEY, my area of passion! Check out the short play "The Most Massive Woman Wins." I can't remember the name off of the top of my head, but it is in a book of five other plays. You can find it at Borders and Barnes and Noble. It's worth buying the book-it's only eight-teen dollars. It's a great short play with a LOT of monologues in it. The ages vary. It's about women in a plastic surgery waiting room. There are four of them, and they all speak of why they are there- one out and out says she's bulimic- the others hit at thier disorders. IT's really good. Hope that helps!

Cressie
01-24-2003, 01:11 PM
Alan Bennet's "Talking Heads" is fantastic

You could also try Lucky's monologue from Beckett's "Waiting for Godot"

Various characters in Eugene O'Neils "Iceman Cometh"

um...and for some reason my mind draws a blanl.The Bennet is brilliant though...

emie
01-26-2003, 02:10 AM
:hugon :love :love sarah :love :love :hugoff

hey hon!
i don't know of any plays (but waiting for godot is excellent!)...i just wanted to say hi to you. haven't talked to you in such a long time...i hope you are enjoying your new school!! and i'll let you know if i'm ever in toronto again! :supergrin

lots and lots of :love,
emie :bug

Catherose
02-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Sarah-
There's a monlogue I've performed a few times called "Credo." It's by Craig Lucas, and the whole play is actually just one woman's monologue. It doesn't really mention any of these issues specifically, but the woman appears really neurotic and depressed... as a girl suffering with depression, I could really relate to her. I love this monologue... it's funny, and sad too... I actually made people cry when I performed it!:supergrin (Sorry to brag, but I really was proud of that.)

Good luck!:clover
:loveCatherine

ballerinagirl
02-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions!:supergrin

I ended up going with (for this monologue anyway - goodness knows in the next two years I'll need a million suggestions:sarcasm) a scene from Angels In America, Part I: Millennium Approaches by Tony Kushner (the character of Harper, for anyone who knows the play). It's actually working out well, and it was convenient because I'd already read the play for a stage combat scene.:winky

Puppet - I have read a few scenes from The Most Massive Woman Wins and I'm interested to read the whole play - I think I know the monologue you are referring to, and I'd like to try it at some point.

Cressie - I've seen some stuff from Talking Heads but nothing that I really loved. Call me a big chicken, but Lucky's monologue from Godot is not something I think I'll EVER do! One of the girls in my term is doing it (the whole thing, in it's entirety) as part of the scene from that play that's in our presentation in a couple months, and all I can say is I'm glad it's not me! Hehehe.:muhaha

Catherine - I'm going to try and find Credo - very interested! Be damn proud of yourself - it sounds like you did it really really well! I've come into my school (industry based professional performing arts) as a dancer...then a singer...and last AND least:sarcasm, an actor. We are trained in all three and I am finding the acting the most challenging, but also interesting and fun.:happy

:hugon:loveEmie:love:hugoff Hiiii!:cheesy I miss you! Definitely let me know if you're going to be here anytime - I'm right downtown!

Sarah

Millificent
02-06-2003, 10:02 AM
There is an awesome one-woman play about ED's called "The Thin Line" that I saw several months ago. One actress plays an anorexic girl, her mother, her best friend, and the ED voice. It's really amazing. You can contact the author at http://www.addverbproductions.com

:dragon Millie

westman
02-11-2003, 12:57 PM
There is a monologue called "Painting Churches" that addresses eating disorders in an abstract sense. It is from the perspective of a child who melts crayons on a heater..and it goes on about the colors and what not...and then you discover that the "crayons" are really food....My vague, random description does not do it justice.
Alas, I cannot remember the author, or what it is from

Heart,

Westy