PDA

View Full Version : Think-n-Share Thirty-Three: Heart's Vision

SFishy
12-04-2002, 07:03 PM
** unlike the other forums, you cannot start your own posts [new topics] in this forum, but you can reply to games like this -- just click on the reply button! **

Here is a quote...

<HR>

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly,
what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Quote by: Antoine de Saint-ExuperyWhat does this quote mean to you? What does it make you think of, and how does it make you feel?

as always, your answers cannot have anything to do with further sinking into your eating disorder!

fefa
12-06-2002, 07:36 PM
That's so beautiful :cute

I guess for me, this mean that there are lots of things in life that are just in front of me, I can't see. Instead I get obessed of the same old things instead of enjoying what is there. And just in the time, I start accepting myself, accepting who I am, and believing in my heart, believing in my feelings and my soul, I will be able to see things the way they are!!

caringbear
12-10-2002, 01:49 AM
To me this quote means that what felt by the heart cannot be seen with an eye. What I mean by this is, if I were to look at something it could seem like nothing, or not even seeing it at all. But if I were to look at it with my heart and feel it, it could be something that I have never seen before.

This quote reminds me of recovery in a way, sort of like a metaphor. You can look at wanting recovery, but if you can't feel with your heart that you want recovery it won't happen.

There is my two cents :ohboy

elizabeth_k
12-10-2002, 10:20 AM
:butterfly That is a beautiful quote. For me, it says that many times I do not see what is blatantly in front of my eyes. However, if I quit trying to examine everything for what it appears to be, and look deeper with my heart rather than my head, it is then that I will uncover the true beauty and meaning of what is surrounding me.

:love liz

rainbow_bunny
12-10-2002, 11:59 AM
That quote makes me think of when I worked at a camp for blind kids.
I know that blind people face a lot of struggles, but what they are blessed with is, I noticed, the unfailing ability to love themselves and others for who they are on the inside...

For anyone who is curious, that quote was originally French, and it's
"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

SFishy, I hope you don't mind that I posted it in French since we already know what it is in English. I just think it's beautilful in French, too. :smile

lilsweetie
01-01-2003, 06:50 PM
to me this kinda talks about feeling rather than thinking about things. the eye is like the thinking part, but the heart is obviously the thinking part. To know how you really feel, the heart is more important that the head.

Mana
01-17-2003, 06:52 PM
That is a good quote but a very hard one for me. Being analytical, practical, and trying to be non-byass has always led me to think with my brain and not my heart.

I guess this quote tells me that you don't have to be afraid of the heart and it's responses to things. That the eye isn't always a just judge in life b/c it can't always see all the details the complications of the heart brings.

This quote shows that the heart can be just as good a judge as the eye and brain can be but in a different way. So maybe it's good to use the eye for some situations and the heart for others or a little of both.

I think it means that I need to learn to trust my heart and what it thinks instead of discounting it as emotional and irrational because of feelings.

afallenangel
06-01-2003, 02:17 PM

What this beautiful qoute means to me is what you may not be able to see with your eyes you cans ee with your heart. SOmetimes we need to follow our hearts and listen to it and let it guide us

Amsters
11-11-2003, 06:51 PM
within my somewhat eating disordered world, there is often a time where I find myself focusing on the externals...but this quote reminds me (like I try to remind myself) that what is essential is on the inside. just like i try to avoid judging others by their appearance and focus on their inner beauty, so I need to do the same for myself. when i trust what is inside of me, i will find what i am looking for...or the ability to not know the answers.

as for how it makes me feel, :touched mostly (that's 'touched'). it's a beautiful quote and reminder.

DreamingRecovery
04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
True needs don't rely on physical appearance. They revolve on what makes a person truely happy and content with themselves.

This makes me think of how so many people like to think that they'll achieve true satisfaction by looking good and impressing others.

It makes me feel good because its something I have overcome and it took a lot of discipline to do. Now I am grateful for the effort I have dedicated to myself at overcoming this way of thinking.

Jezebel
08-28-2005, 01:02 AM
Quote by: Antoine de Saint-Exupery

What does this quote mean to you? What does it make you think of, and how does it make you feel?

I just think of following your heart. Our eyes have betrayed us in so many ways. Be true to yourself and follow your heart.

Leslie Martin
02-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Love is a passion for what we love to do. Or people we love. Love can not be weighed or measured. What we do or what our actions do speak loudly. Often times what we have been through helps others in our situation or helps us to understand people in the future.
Maybe even future jobs. :gimmehug :gimmehug :gimmehug

Tiffy
10-02-2006, 07:25 PM

This is a beautiful quote :touched. I think that it may have something to do with the fact that your heart can guide you and your eyes can as well, but your eyes can also decieve so it's better to follow your heart when you're unsure. :love -Tiffany

liningcare
11-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Hm. Guess for me it'd mean something like this.

The heart is so fragile that we're sometimes so afraid to kill it, so we shut ourselves off - but realize that without some sort of connection everything is empty... nothing *means* anything. In desperation we try to find something to hang on to, and once the doors have been shut it's hard to open them again... but we have to try.

savvyupgirl
01-15-2007, 09:28 AM
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."

As most epistemologists will note, the senses are flawed and sight is not going to give us the answers to the world. Sometimes we have to buckle down and notice that things are going on beyond the realm of the intellect--a very hard thing for me indeed. I want the world to be straightforward and obvious. But my 'heart' tends to see things in a different light, where things are murky and unclear. I thought it was interesting that the speaker used the term rightly and not clearly. No important matter of the heart is going to be clear; the very nature of those sorts of ideas is that they are unclear. So it is with the ED. My eyes are not going to see me as thin enough, even though my boss is calling me a toothpick and my friends and roommate are slightly worried about me. My heart, though, might be able to see the genuine concern of others and truth about my body. It hardly means that my heart is going to go "oh, hey, girl, you are too thin, stop doing this;" rather, my heart will probably say something akin unto "hun, people are really concerned about you. Why are they so concerned?"

JustSmurfy
01-16-2007, 08:34 PM

TO me it says that its not what the eyes see that is important (looks, etc) but its what you can only see with your heart. The things you miss if you don't look beyond the surface. And that how things look on the surface may not be how they really are

In regards to recovery that maybe the most important things in recovery aren't the ones anyone can see. Its the thing inside that change and grow. And that you it takes heart, that you have to be able to dig deep and look beyond the surface of things to really start recovering.

ProgressNotPerfection
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
To me this means that you should make decisions on what your heart wants, not what you think will be best for you or someone else. If you want to audition for Juilliard, but your eyes see you not making the cut, do it because you want to.

Isabkt
05-11-2008, 07:35 PM
i think this quote means you need to be in tune and honest about your feelings. i believe that your body has this deep knowledge inside of it about how to take care of yourself. it is really easy not to listen to your body but ultimately that is what you need to do. in your heart you know what is right. just listen to it.

aelkins
06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
What is truly important in life is not visible to the human eye! It is what is on the inside that counts. Everything in life is temporary except our spirits. Even our body will at one point leave us and the only thing we will have left is our spirit. We should focus on being beautiful on the inside more than on the outside.

abbybelle
06-27-2008, 08:09 AM
To me this means that our bodies are our vessels... They care us through life, but it is inside that is beautiful and real and stays true over time. It means, who cares about thin, fat, pretty, ugly? The most beautiful girl in the world appearance wise may be the ugliest inside... I am like others, I want to look good on the outside and maybe that's okay, but I need to remember that it is my heart that counts. I love this one!

aheartwellcaredfor
07-11-2008, 01:19 AM
i don't agree with this quote...i believe the heart can be treacherous and lead you in the wrong direction...it is only by keeping your eyes open and your wits about you that you can see whether you can trust your heart or not

lifewanderer
07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

It is the story of a person who was lost. She was nobody. No one loved her. No one cared of her existence. She was only material to others.

She hid quietly alone. Deep inside.

Those with only eyes but no soul did not see her.

They needed a heart to find her. But they had none. She was invisible to them.

They saw only a vehicle, a shape, a statue that breathed only to prolong its usefulness.

She was lost.

No one understanding and finding her soul. Soul-less eyes.

How did Antoine de Saint-Exupery know she was there? He saw her tears. She may not have been so alone after all.