View Full Version : ED therapists who take Medicaid in New York City

10-08-2002, 08:01 AM
I was hoping someone from NYC could refer me to any Ed therapist who takes medicaid. I'm having a really hard time finding a therapist. I'm currently at St. Luke's intensive outpatient program that is mostly DBT-based and has the ED groups ****x/week. I'm being discharged very soon..

I've done extensive research and it seems that specialized txt and Medicaid don't
go hand-in-hand. Even my therapist at St. Luke's is having a hard time coming
up with a discharge plan.

The only clinic that offers ED therapy and takes MA is Karen Horney but it's been more than a year now since they hospitalized me and they won't take me back...my DBT therapist refuses to advocate for me and call up the Clinic...she feels i need to "radically accept their decision" which was made April of ****************...i'm having a really hard time with this because there aren't many options with Medicaid. I can see a nonspecialist who takes Medicaid but what good would that be?? In the meantime, i called up Karen Horney Clinic and i emailed them as well but they are not responding to my pleas for help...

Thank you all for your help/feedback!

Feeling very devastated and alone!!!!!!!!

10-08-2002, 08:22 AM
:hugon SLJ :hugoff

I now how frustrating the system is. I have been through it many times, along with so many others. Fortunately, there are more and more therapists who are starting to look into taking medicaid. The unfortunate part, is we are not quite there yet. It sounds like you have done a lot of research in this area. I am not sure of any therapists who do take medicaid, however, something you can try is calling therapists(usually ones with a sliding scale fee) and they may be able to help you find someone. I know it takes a lot of time and work and I definitely applaud your effort to help yourself. Another possiblity is to call therapists and explain your situatin. There is a chance that certain therapists will accept the medicaid if that's what it comes down to. I have basically checked all of New York city, and I havent found any who cliam to take medicaid. But, don't lose hope. Every day is changing and there are therapists out there who do want to help you. Please keep trying...You deserve this so much. :love
:love holly hobbleover

10-08-2002, 09:16 AM
<<Holy Hobby>>

Thank you so much for your support!!!! It sounds like you are also very aware of the ongoing issues between Eating Disorders and Managed Care. Yes, it's so frustrating!!

I've been calling numerous therapists even those with private practices. The truth is that they don't take MA and their lowest sliding scale fee is in the $********s or $********s...but if you need to see someone more than once a week, it's a financial issue for me...I'm sure you can relate!

I've checked out all the ED-related websites and also emailed therapists as well. The truth is there are very few resources for people with MA. I can recommend to you St.Luke's Roosevelt Hospital - its new Intensive Outpatent program that teaches DBT and has ED groups (along with other groups throughout the week) twice a week. Also, private therapist Catherine Baker takes MA...but only with Medicare which i don't have. Judith Gringorton takes MA IF it's part of HIP or GHI, for both of which she's a provider...i only have straight MA. There's also the Realization Center that supports ******** step programs and advocates their food plan (sugar, wheat, flour FREE way of eating) but my DBT therapist and nutritionist were concerned abt this kind of txt...yet different things work for different folks. I'm not so sure abt abstaining from food groups when you have an Ed...And of course, Karen Horney Clinic takes MA...but they refuse to take me, and they are indifferent to my needs - need of being in therapy and finding affordable therapy.

Thank you so much for writing!

10-08-2002, 10:17 AM
:hugon slj :hugoff

:ummm I really don't mean to offend you or anything, but: why not seeing a "nonspecialist"?

Maybe I should say that I come from a completely differetn background (since I'm a german :fishy). Here, we kinda have NO specialized T's... If you need help, you try to find someone, tell the person your problems, and see what he/she has to offer. THere aren't specialized T's, and looking back on my two year therapy history I really doubt why there should be specialized T's. Maybe you shouldn't choose a T who never treated someone with an ED, but: people with ED's and people with other problems often share a lot of issues, and dealing with that is what really counts...

My T is "specialized": in anxiety disorders, depression, OCD, chronical pain, bulimia (which I don't have), hypochondria, relapse of drug abuse, sexual problems, and some other things I don't have the translation at hand right now. What kind of specialization is that? :sarcasm

So he has very different patients.. seeing him has been the biggest help in my life, and I tihnk as long as you click with a person and as long as that person isn't around retirement age and hasn't done any additional learning since leaving Uni, it's okay to just see a "normal" T.

Just throwing in my two cents; I really don't mean to offend you!
Seeing a non-specialist would still be better than seeing no one at all, and it IS worth a try!

Good :clover!


10-08-2002, 10:48 AM
I agree with Sonja in the fact that it is definitely better to see a non-specialist than to see no one at all. However, it is important that this person does have some type of experience working with eating disorders. There are all the underlying issues which are very much a part of our disorders, and there are good therapists out there. But, I do understand where you are coming from. The truth is there are therapists who do specialize in e.d.'s because I have done research. But, the insurance is a problem in many cases. For now, you may want to look for someone who you can talk to, and also find some e.d. groups in your area, where you can be able to relate to other people. There is hope out there, I promise. I never thought I would get to where I am now. Everyday, things get a little bit better. When we want the help bad enough, we'll get it. Take it one step at a time. And whatever you do, don't give up. You are trying and that is such a wonderful step.
:love Holly

10-08-2002, 11:40 AM
:hugon slj :hugoff
i haven't thoroughly read through all of the replies but i would have to agree about what has been brought up about seeing a non-specialist. i have seen three Ts and one of them has been an ED specialist and quite honestly, she has been the least knowledgeable/helpful one in terms of challenging me. while it is important that you are accountable to someone with your ED behaviors and that person understands the dangers, i would think that it is more important that you work on the real issues that are causing the ED. i have to admit it is nice to have someone that understands the behaviors, but in my situation, she hasn't been able to offer much more than that--understanding. my other two Ts weren't really that knowledgeable about EDs but they are very good therapists. i have found working with a nutritionist who has ED experience to be more useful.

just my experience. good luck on finding someone. i know the search can be stressful and exhausting--especially with financial limitations.

:love isobel

10-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Have you looked into NYSPI? There are outpatient research programs that include therapy--the one i'm thinking of is CBT based, for EDs--it's all free. Email me (jonnygirl********@hotmail.com--the number is twenty seven), and i'll dig up the phone nubmer for ya... Glood luck!
:bluefishy AMy K

10-08-2002, 09:18 PM
i too am medicaid and it is impossible to find a therapist. i am in florida and i think the rules vary by state. in florida medicaid pays approximately two dollars per session. the therapists have to sign up to become a medicaid provider, and if they do so, they cannot refuse patients on medicaid, so they fear having their practice filled with medicaid patients and will not earn money. the florida system is horendous. here, medicaid patients are forbidden to even use sliding fee if they can afford it. if a medicaid patient pays any money, they lose coverage. i do understand your situation. you might try phoning your state medicaid office and ask if they have medicaid clinics that provide therapy. florida has a few but they don't make them known. it is very frustrating. i hope things work out for you.

10-08-2002, 09:58 PM
Thank you <<all>> for your prompt replies!

I'm not offended Sunflower by your suggestion to see a nonspecialist. Actually, i was seing once (when i first started treatment) this psychiatrist who wasn't an ED specialist. He helped me make some career-related decisions while in grad school but he couldn't help me with my Ed-related issues. He finally had to let me go because he was realizing that i needed specialized help and my Ed was getting worse.

I also agree with Holly Hobby and Isobel that a Good therapist should be aware Not only of the ritualistic behaviors and Ed thoughts but they should have a good understanding of the issues that aggravate or drive these behaviors in the first place. I've had so called "Ed" therapists who weren't helpful at all..but there must be a therapist out there who has to offer more than the mere focus on the ED-related behaviors. I'm so confused...I'm sick of trying to find a good (effective, affordable, nonjudgemental) therapist. I think an integrated approach might work??

Has anyone tried the Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia? I know they offer sliding fees..Can i get some feedback abt this place? Thanks.

Amysanangel, i was inpatient once at NYSPI...even though i was overwhelmed by their strongly behavioral tactics... i was willing to give DBT a try later on. PI was the only place I've had CBT. I emailed NYSPI and the research assistant bluntly replied that they are not a referral service and i should check out the NEDA site. The truth is i've checked it out and it's mostly private practices which means they don't take Medicaid. Also, there's no outpatient therapy for Anorexia Nervosa pa-tients and they only provide CBT if you've recently graduated from their inpatient program..at least that's what i've been told.

I don't know what to say...finding a therapist alone is hard work but with financial limitations it is super hard! Just keep talking to ED referral organizations or various therapists even in private practice...you never know...something might come up. Go to clinics and hospitals where they take MA...they might be able to help.

I don't mean to sound hyppocritical but i do have another question: Is No therapy better than bad therapy?

Thank you all!!!!!!!

10-08-2002, 10:12 PM

I just wanted to say how much i empathize with you. It's horrible that you canot even consider therapy with a sliding fee...in fear of losing your benefits...

I've also tried to call my State's MA office in order to get a provider's list of therapists who treat Eds...but i've been told there's no such list. Then i called again and someone was willing to suggest some clinics for general therapy and he also gave me the site's address...i guess you need to keep on calling until you can come across someone who is willing to help you. I know what you mean...the system is so frustrating and so archaic!!!!!!!!

Check out www.NationalEatingDisorders.org
for txt in your state or call ****************-************-**************** . You may have already checked it out...

Best of Luck to you!