View Full Version : ? R there age restrictions on diet/pain pills?

10-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Hey everyone I have a question for you. Everytime I go into a store I see signs everywhere "do not sell cigareets to minors" Do not sell "alcohol to minors" And so I was wondering are pills regulated in the same way? I mean I know my view points are skewed ok, but do "diet pills" have any age restrictions?

I was in a GNC a week ago (to buy my power bars) and I asked the gentelman behind the counter if he "could sell their popular diet pills ect... to anyone?" and he said "yeah" He said "Technically I guess they are suppose to be over eighteen, but it isn't something enforeced"

So, I am wondering why can't diet pills/ pain pills ect... have harsh enforced age restrictions just like cigarettes?

I think there should be age restrictions. I mean if I get carded every time I go into a bar or into a liquor store to buy wine, I see no reason why pills can't be regulated in the same way.

10-06-2002, 10:12 AM
I was at a drug store a few days ago and I noticed the diet pills containing ephedra had bright orange stickers that said "ID check" on them. I had never seen that before.

10-06-2002, 02:20 PM
They card me everytime I buy a certain type of pills(yes bad me I know but I think I'm addicted who knows) They aren't really diet pills though but yes they card me for them even though I am twenty two. Funnt cuz the same place never cards me for smokes or alcohol just the evil pills

10-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Yes, at least where I live (Michigan) you have to be eighteen to buy diet pills. It was not always this way though. (When I was fourteen and bought diet pills no one ever asked any questions. :ugh)
dreya :pinkfishy

10-07-2002, 09:17 AM
I don't know the status of the laws, but bills have been introduced in South Carolina and Missouri to limit diet pills usage by minors.

If you want to get laws in your state, start by contacting your legislators and tell them why it's important!

:dragon Millie

10-07-2002, 10:36 AM
It's bad where I live. There are age restrictions on all the bottles but I know fouteen year olds who have bought the pills. Yes, they are supposed to be restricted to eighteen and over, but I have never seen or heard of anyone being carded for them. It's really awful because, in my opinion, these pills can be more harmful than other things where you need to be a certain age to buy or do. I have been severely, on and off, addicted to diet pills and it was the worst thing I ever did to myself. There is not enough warning on the bottle and the stores, here in New York, will sell those pills.

10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
It's funny... when I was sixteen/seventeen and taking diet pills, I never got IDed for them. But now that I'm nineteen, they are carding me every time I get them (yes, I know, no lectures :ohboy). I think that this may be a new law in some areas or something.

Cris Tina
10-08-2002, 12:35 AM
why would you want to put an age restriction on pain pills? minors need pain medication too.

as for diet pills, yes there are age restrictions in kentucky. i would hope they are enforced properly ... moral obligation or something ... when i was around thirteen and fourteen, no one ever asked for identification when i bought diet pills. of course that was when i could also buy cigarettes legally in this state.

10-08-2002, 08:08 AM
could it be that society doesn't view these pills as dangerous and hence people don't card peopel for them?

I mean with cigarettes the reason people are so concious of them is because they are now viewed as the "evil" of society. And there are fines for people who sell them. It really bothers me tho, that people aren't carded for pills because does this mean that people "just accept them as a norm in society?" That scares me, because people don't realize how dangerous they are espcially for children. And as far as pain pills go, I just worry about them because of addictive qualities. But my main concern is that if their are labels I wish they would be enforced. Maybe this is somethign I can actually get involved with.

Victoria :stars

10-11-2002, 03:04 AM
well here in :canada, i have bought pills in the past, no q's asked. i think they dont really have the awareness that they should about these pills.
good idea though, to have age restrictions on the pills.
however, like with cigs, you will find ways around them if you really want to