PDA

View Full Version : successful social anxiety challenge

chelseaa
03-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm always hesitant to be too self-congratulatory because I don't want to get complacent...there's still a long path ahead of me.

But with that disclaimer, I took a social anxiety risk tonight and it went well. I went to a social event/awards ceremony in which a person I've been interested in for a while (and am casual friends with) was being honored, in order to show support. For me this has a lot of red flags involved....voluntarily going to something public, risk of not being wanted there, risk of looking awkward and standing by myself the whole time, major risk of annoying the person I came to support and being a social burden, ETC. But I showed up and he was happy I came and he spent almost the whole time talking to me. Also, I made small talk with a number of other people there who are acquaintances.

It sounds small and routine, but for me it's not, at all. I've always suffered with debilitating shyness and have received a diagnosis of social anxiety in the past. So I'm proud of myself for doing something like this. I hope the challenges continue! They scare me but ultimately feel so much better than not taking the challenge.

ducksquack
03-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Congrats on a very huge step forward in overcoming
your social anxiety. You did awesome.

Pushing thru the fears and sometimes irrational thoughts
isnt easy but I found that each time I did it I was moving
forward and the fears etc got less and less.

I also would dwell on the 'what ifs' and it only added to my
anxiety and usually none of them came about anyway.

god bless.

bellydancer
03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Glad you took this step! I hope you remember this next time you are faced with a challenge.

lovebugg
03-09-2012, 11:40 PM
congratulations!

you deserve to be proud of yourself. :yay

I too suffer from debilitating anxiety and when I read your post i thought "that sounds anything but routine!".... its really hopeful to read that you got thru it and feel happy for pushing yourself, and were able to connect with your friend too.

i hope that the challenges keep coming and you keep pushing ahead =)

thanks for sharing