PDA

View Full Version : I do not want to explain to people why I broke up with my boyfriend

FaithInFreedom
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Advice?
I broke up with my boyfriend yesterday.

I didn't feel like it was a healthy relationship at all. I felt very fragile and taken advantage of emotionally. It was draining me.

I do not want to explain to HIS friends (who are also my friends) as to why I broke up with him. They are all writing to me and asking me.

Advice as to what to say?

HUGS

helloballoon
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
That's sad FiF. Break ups are hard. I've had to break up with boys before and deal with the questions. It sucked. I always came off like the bad guy because I didn't want to bad mouth the boy.

It's hard when people are sticking their noses in. Can you just say that it's between you and your ex?! That it's no one's business but yours!? Would they stop hounding you?

You don't owe anyone an explanation you know :love

morae
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
fif-
first of all, i think it is great that you stood up for yourself :yay

another thing you could say if you would feel comfortable is that it is just not what you are looking for at this point in your life. i tend to say vague things that don't stir things up or leave either person looking like the bad guy.

mollywolly is right though.. if you are a more blunt person i would go with the whole thing about how it's none of their business! (which i am not, so thought i would offer another side!)

good luck :supergrin

FaithInFreedom
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
thank you both! thats very helpful :)

dermaline
01-03-2012, 03:15 PM
You certainly arnt obliged to discuss things that you are not ok to discuss.
Maybe something vague that doesnt really say anything?
Like: We care about each other but it just didnt work out.

Dolphinstar
01-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Good for you for taking care of yourself.

Boy the drama and social network people hear something and everyone is askng within minutes. I feel your pain. I encourage you to be vague also and say something it didn't work out. Stand your ground they may continue to push you to tell more tell them that is all you are willing to share and they should stop asking questions. It's between the two of you guys:)

sunshinepoppy
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Man, I know how awkward that is... but you don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

axi
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree with Dermaline. 'It just didn't work out' is what I would say.

sflathinker
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
considering they care about you and him and they will want both of you to be happy, it's probably best not to say anything negative. So email back and say, "this was a hard decision but the right decision. Thank you for understanding but since we are all friends this is personal and private" HOWEVER, know that he may not take the higher road and that if you truly do not want to involve yourself in the drama, try not to feel like you have to defend yourself when he tells his side.

Seabiscuit
01-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I know from past breakups, it's really hard when people want to know all the details and don't respect privacy, and it can be truly intrusive and annoying.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say- "I'd rather not talk about this" or"it's for the best that we're not together" or whatever you feel like saying. You don't have to say anything more than you feel comfortable saying. Don't let others make you feel uncomfortable, I know sounds easier than it is but you don't have to volunteer any information.

Good luck!

WhoWasDee
01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I would just answer with......"Thank you for your concern, it just wasn't the right relationship for either of us."

Nothing else needs to be said.