PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a friend with similar problems.

Mismatched socks
12-30-2011, 11:53 PM
So in a few weeks I'm going to be visiting my best friend, which I'm very excited about because I don't see him nearly as often as I'd like to.

I'm worried though because he has a lot of ED type thoughts and behaviors, and I don't want my behaviors to rub off on him or trigger him, and I don't want it to become competitive or you know, otherwise inadvertently make his thoughts/behaviors worse.

I mean, I'm gonna be there the whole weekend and we're gonna be eating all of our meals together. He's gonna notice if I'm restricting/disappearing to purge (not like I'd have the chance to)/obsessing over calories etc... And I really really don't want him to be as badly off as I am. As much as I'm in denial about the seriousness of my condition, if he told me he was restricting nearly much as I have been, I'd be very worried. (Yeah, I should probably turn that on myself as motivation to recover, because I know he worries about me... But then I just feel guilty for having an ED in the first place and get discouraged. Go me. XP)

The logical side of me is saying that the best way to handle this is to "just" not engage in ED behaviors while I'm around him, but agh. I'm going to be there for a few days. That just sounds impossible to me right now.

Any advice would be super. Heh. But thanks for taking the time to read either way. :gimmehug

ducksquack
12-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Perhaps you could email him and be honest and
see if you both could support each other.

How can you enjoy being with your friend and not
making this about your EDs?

god bless.