PDA

View Full Version : Everything happens for a reason, including change, right?

Seabiscuit
12-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I was talking with my co-worker the other day when she said, "everything happens for a reason." I've heard that many times before but for some reason, it seems like that time I was meant to hear it. I look up to her and later thought that, if she can apply that philosophy in difficult times of her life, maybe it is something worth thinking about towards my life.

Well, I guess everything does happen for a reason or at least that is what I am thinking now. I had been seeing my internist who I really like, for about a year. Then I was in the ER the other night and I thought I had an appointment the following day that I had scheduled over a month ago. I left a message with the internist's office to confirm the appt., and I received a rude message on my phone in reply letting me know they had canceled the appt. which was news to me since I never had received any prior message from them that they supposedly had left weeks ago canceling the apt. I wouldn't be so irritated if it weren't for the fact that they couldn't get me into see my doctor for weeks after being in the ER unless I planned to miss work which I couldn't do. Also, this was close to if not the fourth time that they had canceled on me which I think is totally out of line. The internist is great and I will really miss him but his office staff is so rude! One of the receptionists laughed at me over the phone before, not laughing with me, trust me, but laughing at me and speaking to me in a rude way! One time a medical assistant there verbally started an attack on me, raised her voice to me in a nasty way and was verbally accusatory. She tried the blame me for everything and never apologized. I would like to bring my concerns to the internist or office manager but I can't seem to reach anyone and they don't return my phone calls. Also, I have a feeling my concerns will go in one ear and out the other because when I had addressed the issue of them canceling on me, they made some lousy excuse and were rude, and canceled again.

I need to see a medical professional to follow up from my ER visit last week and obviously I can't get into see my own internist's office so I have scheduled an appt with another internal medicine practice in the same town. I will miss my internist very much but I can't take all the non professional, upsetting antics of his office. His office manager never returned my phone call and I have heard of friends of mine also having problems with my current internist's office staff, one so badly that she decided to switch practices.

So on Monday I see a nurse practitioner from this new internal medicine practice, and if I stick with them I may choose to see a doc instead down the road but the NP had an opening Monday. I am going to try them out and see what I think. If I do decide to switch over to them, I will miss my internist a lot but I can't keep taking this nonsense and non professional behavior from his office. It really upsets me.

Maybe change does happen for a reason. Maybe that reason is to take care of myself and for me, time to move on?

Seabiscuit
12-19-2011, 03:20 AM
well, tonight I was able to reach my current internist via phone. I called the doc on call because the condition that brought me to the ER was really flaring up and it just so happened that my internist was on call! He gave me some good medical advice, and we had a candid conversation about what's been going on with his office. I expressed my frustrations and concerns. He thinks that there have been some mis-communication going on because he was surprised that I wasn't at an appt where they had me scheduled- well I didn't know about it! He is going to bring up my concerns to the office and I am going to call the office in the am and see when I can get seen asap since he thinks I should see him soon. So, in other words, I am going to give this office another chance but I am definitely going to have a conversation with the office manager. I thought that maybe this was a rough patch, but I think it is more than that. I guess sometimes we have to take the good with the bad, sigh. So, I don't know if I will keep the appt with the NP today, it depends on when I can get into see my current internist. He was very understanding about my frustrations, he knows me very well and I would hate to leave him. So I guess my reaching him tonight because of my medical flare up happened for a reason, eh?

axi
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
I think that giving him one more try could be positive no matter how it turns out. Even if things at his office stay the same, you will know that you gave it one last shot and you won't be conflicted about leaving as you were when you wrote this post.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Seabiscuit
12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
So today, I called my current internist's office and was able to see him today, :yay ! I canceled the appt with the NP and saw my internist. I spoke with him again about my concerns and he listened, was very understanding. He prescribed a course of treatment for my medical issue and I told him I wanted to speak with the office manager because I felt so frustrated, and he said sure, he understood, that it wasn't a problem at all. I am glad I spoke with both of them. The office manager was very understanding, apologetic for what had happened in the past and I feel like I have a weight lifted off of my chest now since I was able to address these issues. I am definitely going to stick it out with my internist; he is a great doctor and I really admire him. He helps me out tremendously, knows me well and I would miss him if I were to leave. I don't know that it will be smooth sailing from here on out, but at least I feel that I have addressed some issues and know that I can go to my doc and the office manager again if things arise.

Thanks axi for your input, I am glad I stuck it out too!