PDA

View Full Version : No one came to my college graduation

Thoughts
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Well, I graduated from college today and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not that happy actually. I guess because I am unsure of what to do and still living with my mom and my potential roommates aren't working out. It's just a huge transition.

but also because I went to my graduation today, and although I told myself the graduation wasn't a big deal (I wasn't even going to go, but my mom wanted to see me walk) and I had no one there for me. I don't have very many friends so they weren't there and my sister didn't want to give my mom a ride as was previously planned to it because she just didn't want to get up. At the end of the ceremony I called our home phone to make sure she was there (she doesn't have a cell so no one would pick up if she had left) well, she picked up so I knew she wasn't there. It's not her fault and I'm not mad at her but I felt left out because everyone else had someone, or at least a friend. when I walked the stage hardly no one clapped because I don't have many friends in school. I went to the graduation ceremony with another friend who was graduating and ALL of her family came out, plus friends. I just sort of sat to the side. She got flowers and money, etc. My family is poor so I didn't get anything, which is OK, but it just made me feel awkward to see her family interacting. I tried not to cry, but I just did. They kept asking if I was OK and some of them hugged me and congratulated me but it was still really weird. I have to work tonight (I didn't get off :ohboy) and I'm hoping I can keep it together.

ducksquack
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I am so sorry you had such a disappointment as it does
hurt as we all need encouragement and to feel special
and it is painful and ok to cry.

It is a big deal to graduate so congrats on all the hard
work you must have done. Thats awesome.

Transitions such as this are hard but remember that what
we fear is usually never as bad as we can make it in our
own minds. You will do ok.

What positive things can you do for yourself and what plans
can you consider for short term goals?

god bless.

iKiwi
12-17-2011, 04:36 PM
The thing that jumped out was how glad I was to hear that you were able to cry. Of course you would feel sad and lonely. I'm sorry your sister was a bit selfish but perhaps she will come to regret that when she understand that she missed out on something hugely important to you. I'm glad to hear that you went. I skipped both my college graduations and I regret them both. When I graduate from my doctorate I'm going to be so proud of it, even if no-one else in the world shows up. And I'm glad you had your friend there, even if you couldn't help compare her family to yours. Be gentle with yourself honey, perhaps you just need to allow yourself to be sad over this. Congratulations on graduating in the first place -- hopefully in time you will be able to feel proud of that. xx x

rugbyplayer
12-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Congrats on your graduating. I am really sorry your family couldn't be there. We are proud of you. Not everyone finishes. Hugs.