PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Better Friend (Thankyou, SF)

AlecBings
12-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I just wanted to give a big Thankyou to the bowl, because I think that seeing the thoughtful ways that fishies respond to one another has helped me grow emotionally, specifically with how I deal with my friends when they come to me with their problems.

For example today my bestie texted me about how difficult it is being in college when she isn't happy there and can't justify the cost. Before SF I would have frozen and said something empty but appropriate, but this time I tried to reply the way a fishy might, and we ended up having a really nice conversation about how weird it is feeling like a "townie" and how off the top of our heads neither of us can really cite any "healthy" coping mechanisms. (Except of course reaching out to a friend.)

Anyway I don't think I could have done that without first learning from SF what a helpful response looks like, and it is something I am glad to be learning, esp since I think at first it is easier to see others problems with a healthy brain than it is to see our own.

Thanks, fishies, for being so wonderful :love

sflathinker
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Very true, the bowl helped me see just how defensive I am in real time when someone is just offering their opinion. I can see it here when others are doing it, but took that for me to see that I do the same thing.

Kensington
12-01-2011, 07:56 PM
I also learned how to be a better listener and to better express myself by being a fishy. :funky

pantherr
12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I've only been here for a very brief time yet and I think it's helped me a lot!! First of all, it's a safe place to go when I feel like engaging in ED behaviors - for example, instead of bingeing I'll read and reply to posts. That's definitely cool to have. And I feel like being able to use your voices to encourage myself along has been amazing. I'm getting so much better at self-parenting. So I echo that sentiment, thanks everyone!!

escape needed
12-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I'd never thought of it in that way but I guess it does. I do occasionally say things in real life mirroring things either I've written here or others have.