PDA

View Full Version : Self Imposed Isolation

Flor
11-30-2011, 08:59 AM
I feel like I am starting to isolate myself again and it hurts.

Sometimes it is okay, just peace and solitude. But sometimes it feels really bad. I am very busy on one hand, but at the same time, I always feel like I am grasping at straws with "what to do next".

It's hard because I don't fill my days with AN behaviors anymore. Hard to find anything that I am passionate about.

Help please.

pantherr
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
I absolutely have been doing the same thing and it's awful. Sometimes I love my own company and sometimes it's utterly painful to be alone. I think anything is better than being compleley isolated. As far as a temporary solution: is there a coffee shop nearby you can go to and to read a book or magazine? At least you'll be around people. I'm a student, so the library is good for this (being alone without actually being alone).

Looking at the bigger picture, can you think of a reason you are isolating? Is something bothering you?

decembersecond
01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
i understand what you are going through. completely. i am a very socially isolated individual. it's not that i dislike human contact, it's that i am so self conscious and afraid of failure that i avoid relationships (aside from my marriage) altogether.

LittleIdabee
01-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Hi Flor,
I really :ear you! I am recovered now, so I feel like I don't have much "excuse" to be as isolated as I am... and being so isolated is not something that I take pleasure in in the same way that I did when I was living with an active eating disorder. When I stopped using behaviors, it was almost as if one day I just woke up and realized that I didn't know what to do with myself!

Patherr's thought about getting out to a coffee shop or something is a great one; I need to take that suggestion myself. I struggle a lot with being around people, particularly when anxious so even that can be a challenge but as with anything the more you do it the easier it gets. I always think about how nice it would be if I could meet somebody in that way, but I'm shy...

I don't know what to offer other than just letting you know that I completely understand what this is like as I am there, too. This is an issue that I would like to address and work through more on these boards since I've come back to post again :yay - my guess is that a lot of fishies have experience and insight into this.

:gimmehug M.

recoveryatlast
01-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Coffee shop is a great one. Also going to a movie by yourself is enjoyable. As is local libraries, exhibitions, craft markets

I walk my dog and i know the other regular dog walkers in my area to say hello to and a few i can chat to beyond that now

Any type of community class is really good..you get to meet people and learn a few skills in your area of interest

I've also volunteered at just about everything over the years just so i felt like part of the local community. Hospitals and nursing homes love volunteers to come and do things with patients etc