PDA

View Full Version : ive got the wierdest phobia in the world :(

pixiecixie
03-21-2006, 09:00 AM
I couldn't even write about this....
at all. knowing that i did would gross me out. even copying and pasting it grossed me out.

I have what might be labeled as Fear of clusters or Asymmetriphobia- Fear of asymmetrical things.

Here are some posts from a website called unusualphobias.com/clusters

Does anyone have tips on how to get rid of this phobia??? It seems so fucking impossible to do....
if it gets bad it makes me feel like i dont wana look at anything at all and it affects my appetite.

I feel like its REALLY bad cos:
-just reading over that stuff makes me sick.
-i have it, my younger sister has it. my mom has it.
-i can't say certain words becuase of it...
i feel like i could have written every single blog on there. ?!?

a fear of strange textures, usually groupings or clusters of things together. Quite often very small things, e.g: Acloseup photograph of a no. of bees climbing all over each other, also, boil's on a person's head. What do you think? It's definitely a family trait as three of us suffer from the same thing.

hello:
i too have a fear of clusters. lately, it has become really bad. i have braces on and i recently thought of ripping off the braces off my teeth. i have even thought further to having my teeth out, since they too appear like clusters.
suddenly, this problem has become very bad. it is not just strange clusters. i sometimes feel as though i do not want to see things in general, as everything is a potential clusters, cars on the street, trees, furniture sitting atop the floor...
do you have any advice.
thanks for reading this mail

I have had a very strange phobia for as long as I can remember. I can't stand honeycomb shapes, e.g. raw beef tripe, burned milk on the bottom of a pan, pictures of cells, or any irregular shapes clustered together with contrasting colors, e.g. dirty snow with holes from sprinkled salt, certain works of modern art with these qualities, or words that remind me of the act of developing these textures such as "mushroom", "shingles", or "cluster". When I was about **** I saw a piece of tripe in the supermarket and began screaming and crying. My maternal grandmother has this same phobia.

i found you web sight today, i was kinda relived that there are other ppl out there like me. I am terrafied of holes. small clusters of holes.. like bee hives, or the holes in stincles. I have always been this way. When i see them i scream and feel like things are crawling all over me. I can't stand to even think about it... I want to get over this, but i can't. I am ********, female, and i feel doomed for life. if you have any info. on this please send it to me..

I can't STAND clusters! Like lots of ink dots or the chickens on 'Chicken Run'. Seeing the backside of those chickens made me scream - it was enough to make me want to scratch my eyes out. I shudder thinking about it and have been this way ever since I can remember.
I also have a fear of holes/clusters. I gag at the site of swiss cheese, dish washing sponges, holes in the wall etc.
I wish I could talk to other people with the same fears. It would be awesome if you created a message board for your site..

I also have an extreme fear of holes, lots of little holes like pores on your skin and such. For some reason I get very sick whenever I think of them. Anyways, maybe you will find this suitable for your websight, which I very much enjoyed.

I'm so surprised to see that there are so many people with the fear of holes and clusters! I've had this fear, actually more like "disgust" for holes, ever since I was little, and I'm ******** now. Today, I was reminded of this while watching the Oscars:today during the oscars they showed this scene in "Finding Nemo" where all the birds run into a sail and their beaks all poke through. Like, A TON of small holes and beaks. it freaks me out. i also can't stand things like in The Mummy, the movie, the mouth of the dead ghost mummy is a series of gaping little holes. Gross! Also, the thought of maggots eating several small holes into dead bodies terrifies me...any sort of wound that involves several small holes clustered together, or blisters, or holes in the ground...

Wow- I never thought that other people had this same phobia. My mom always thought my sister and I were so weird for being afraid of "dots" or clusters of upraised dots. For me it is especially things like clusters of barnacles on beaches or boats- looking at them makes my skin crawl! I remember going on hikes through the forests in Oregon and scraping off the clusters of upraised brown seeds from the bottom of fern leaves. My sister has it too so it must be in our genes!

I am a ******** year old female. I have a phobia of holes and clusters of holes. I haven't had this phobia all my life and that i know of noone else in my family has this phobia or one like it. That i know of I have only had this phobia about **** years. Bee-hives, skin under a microscope, kitchen floor mats in the back of a resteraunt, ect. I don't think it's what will come out of them in particular just the holes themselves. For instance when an eighteen wheeler is driving down the orad and there is a pizza painted on the side with olives on it it drives me nuts. Or when I am driving behind a truck that has a bunch of long silver pipes hanging off the back of it I have to put the sun visor down. I just can't take it. I don't know where it came from I would just like to get over it. I also have a phobia of spiders, deep & cold water I can't see through, hieghts and the fear of being left alone. These fears I can deal with and I have some sort of control over. The hole and cluster phobia on the other hand I don't have any control over what so ever. If you or someone else can help me I would really appreciatte it.

I don't know, maybe not afraid of them but extremely disturbed by them. One time my cousin poked many small holes on a piece of paper and it disturbed me for days, I started itching and being really grossed out. Even started remembering the other things that have really freaked me about like that frog who lays it's eggs by them coming out of his back...many many of them. I'm so sicked out out just typing this. There has to be something that can be done about them.
Oh, I don't know...anyways thanx for this site, it was nice to know other people had this...whatever it is too.

I too have always thought I was weird, and plenty of others too, that I hate looking at holes and clusters of things.

I think I fall into the fear of holes and fear of clusters according to the phobia list.

I saw this frog once on the discovery channel where the mother literally had her babies through her back. All the little baby frogs pushed through the membrane on her back...and what was left was this frog with all these holes. Disgusting. I also hate looking at coral and up close pictures (microscopic) of bugs, dust, anything really. I get so grossed out by it.

I'm also disgusted by bumpy things too. I totally empathize with the phobic who was disgusted by the chickens on Chicken Run.

Well, thanks for the forum. It's such a relief to know there are others out there like me. :)

it is so amazing to read all of your fears becuase we are **** sisters who have had this phobia since ever since we can remember. nobody ever understands.we think it must be genetic beccause our younger sister can understand it too whereas noone else we know can. we find particularly difficult cobbled streets (like in france), especially when there are gaps between the cobbles, and they are irregular, rather then evenly spaced. honeycomb we don't really find a problem but saw chicken run and as someone else on this site has said just could not take looking at the underside of the chickens.

also, recently visited malaysia, and there is an area that is filled with tea plantations, which everyone says is extremely beautiful but we just couldn't look at them from a distance becuase they looked similar to plant cells under a microscope (which I hate), with segments which were irregular. yuk. by the way, does anybody actually know what our phobia is called or why it is because would love to know.

I can't believe how many people wrote in about their fear, or more accurately disgust of certain clusters or textures. I have always had this weird thing where certain textures freak me out and makes my skin crawl and make the skin on my back feel itchy and gross!!! I have never known why or what causes it (still don't). Once when I was younger I was washing my hands with a bar of soap and was playing with it, just lathering it for a long time until there was a thick coating of white soap all over my hands like gloves and then it sort of dried up and when I bent my fingers the cracks of the soap over my knuckles grossed me out so much!!! Ahh, I hated it I had to wash my hands off really fast to get rid of the disgusting texture. Also recently I was eating at a restaurant and my dish had very large capers that were sliced in half and they had the most disgusting texture of a whole bunch of tiny circles clustered together, it was so creepy! I would really like to know more about this and why!! Thanks for posting this.

Hiya, im a ******** year old student and i also have a fear clusters. As some people on this page have also said, i am glad that there are many more of you out there with this phobia. I especially hate clusters of raised dots eg the backs of leaves sometimes have some kind of diseased cluster on them and i cant stand it. Also, i was happy that i saw that others hate small melted dots in the snow coz that really freaks me out aswell. Another (which i dont know if anyone has ever noticed bfore) is when powdered coffee gets wet on a surface, aaaaaah! This happened to me at work and it was awful! Burnt milk at the bottom of a pan aswell. I have noticed that im more freaked out when the cluster is perfetly formed but im not to sure why. I have a slight theory to why us 'clusterphobics' are the way we are but i dont know if it is relevant. This is that we subconciously feel threatened and inferior to the cluster in question because it looks so dominating. Im probably wrong coz i dont even know if i feel like that myself but its just a thought.

Anyway, keep away from the custers and thankyou for taking time to read this submission.

bobmac
03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I have phobias too.. snakes / heights / water..

Have you seen anyone regarding this ?

It sounds like something to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist about..

Good luck..

god bless and take care..
bob

fiazzi
03-21-2006, 02:23 PM
:hugon pxcx:hugoff

ummm...

me too.
like, exactly the same. it's something that when i tell people about it they tend to think it's uproariously funny because it's so freaking weird. but it's not funny to me, really - i feel like throwing up just thinking about it. do you find that it gets worse when your stress is higher? for me, when i'm worried/upset about something it's more intense. also when i don't get enough sleep.

honestly, i don't know what to do about it. my t knows about it, but i don't think she gets the extent because it's so hard for me to talk about. sometimes it's not that bad - there are times when even things that usually trigger me don't set me off... but as often as THAT happens, it gets worse and/or new and exciting :ohboy triggers crop up.

i'm going to talk to my t about it when i see her - it's been worse lately. i just haven't been able to shake it. i promise if she tells me something helpful i'll let you know. if you find something out that could help... will you tell me?

i'm sorry this is a really awkward post, but it's hard for me to type this out. i think i'd better stop for now before i get too freaked out :scared

thanks so much for posting - i know it took a lot to even copy and paste.

:love
sophia

brainsnbeauty
03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow.. I never really thought of it as a phobia per se, but I'm definitely bothered by clusters. Especially things like the aforementioned barnacles... textures on coral reefs... certain textured fish... honeycomb/bee stuff... UGH

At least I realize I'm not alone. And my friends ALSO make fun of it. But it just sucks... :gimmehug

safe t belter
03-21-2006, 03:42 PM
hey :hugon pixiecixie :hugoff

it's funny-- i was just sitting outside and there were a bunch of flies (the lovely sign that spring is here:ohboy) and i got really grossed out and immedietly went inside. :ugh

anyways-- about phobias-- in one of my psychology classes we were talking about treatment for phobias, and the most effective, they say, is exposure/relaxion. this is when you are gradually introduced to the aversive stimuli and couple that exposure with relaxation techniques (ie. deep breathing). like if you were afraid of spiders, your T would show you a pic of a cartoon spider, then a pic of a real one, then a real one in a box, then one on the table next to you, then one on your hand--- each time using these relaxation techniques. i guess that it is the most popular form of therapy for phobias-- according to my textbook. i'm not sure if this could be done fore you, since your phobia is not so specific as spiders and snakes-- but im no expert- so maybe you could talk to your T about this?

:lubdubmichelle

pixiecixie
03-28-2006, 01:50 AM
:cheesy safe t belter :cheesy

It's funny-- i was just sitting outside and there were a bunch of flies (the lovely sign that spring is here) and i got really grossed out and immedietly went inside.

Wow.. I never really thought of it as a phobia per se, but I'm definitely bothered by clusters. Especially things like the aforementioned barnacles... textures on coral reefs... certain textured fish... honeycomb/bee stuff... UGH
At least I realize I'm not alone.

me too.
like, exactly the same. it's something that when i tell people about it they tend to think it's uproariously funny because it's so freaking weird. but it's not funny to me, really - i feel like throwing up just thinking about it. do you find that it gets worse when your stress is higher? for me, when i'm worried/upset about something it's more intense. also when i don't get enough sleep.

WHOA.........never expected such a response!!!

I DO find it gets worse when I'm stressed out or don't get enough sleep oddly enough!
and I am petrified of barnacles... textures on coral reefs... certain textured fish... honeycomb/bee stuff, clots of flies and shit...

:trigger
:trigger

NOW......to make thigns worse

A few days ago I had a nightmare which connected food and my phobia of clusters...i have a word phobia, just say it's marshmellows.....its really not but i can't type it. and the other night in my dream someone kept saying "food has marshmellows in it, it's covered with hundreds of marshmellows..."
eating hasn't been the same.

:sad does anyoneone find their appetite gets extremely bothered (as does their mood) when they see something that only they think is gross.

its been really hard to eat and i haven't been eating very well these days.

tomatoes, my fav. safe food before now are COMPLETELY outta the game.
as basically anthing with seeds...
this is awful.

:sad

pxcx

Tiffy
03-28-2006, 02:29 AM
I don't have the same phobia, but I have a weird one. I'm scared to death of chalk. It gives me shivers down my spine thinking about it. I don't like to be anywhere near it, I don't like the feel, I don't like the look, I don't like anything about it. I just recently have started :digdeep and trying to figure out where this phobia came from and dicovered when I was a little girl (oh, about five or six), I went to my uncles funeral, and I noticed that seeing his body looked to me and felt to me like chalk. I know that probably sounds weird, but it's true. Everyone seems to think it's the funniest thing ever. I would like to :challenge you to :digdeep and think about where the phobia came from. :challenge Is there anything that you saw that related to clusters that scared you or did the fear just kind of happen? Have you sought any therapy for your fear or talked to a professional about it? There is ways to treat certain phobias, you don't have to live like this forever. :gimmehug and :love -Tiffany

pixiecixie
03-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Honestly I dont' know where it came from. My sister has it, my mom has it to a certain degree but mine is by far the worst.

:lubdub xcherryxkissesxx :lubdub thanx for tha love cherry. i am gonna start therapy and bring this issue up, with the wonderful support of my boifi :love T. i am definately scared that ill end up flipping out.
the only problem now is that...

where do i go to get therapy
aint that much choice in kenya.

make do with what i got.

pxcx

phery_dust
12-15-2007, 02:33 PM
posting in this quite late, but I agree with all of you.. I definitely have this phobia...its really bad with things like frog eggs... i think it has to do also with everytime I get a pimple, i need to remove it... or larvae in their nests... completely disgusting.. my skin gets super itchy just thinking about.. but im so happy to know im not completely alone!!

skippy
12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Me, Too!
The honeycomb pattern drives me crazy, and I currently have to wear a special shoe that has this pattern with removable 'cells.' I can't stand looking at it!
I also have a fear/repulsion of fruit. I cannot stand the sight, smell, etc. I can barely say the word.
I am so curious about the origin of these fears, especailly something like holes, where there is no obvious evolutionary benefit to it.

teresaemmanuelle
12-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi,

I'm in therapy for my ED, but a while back I developed a phobia of mice. I didn't know what I was going to do. I kept thinking, great, now I have to spend years in therapy to get over this phobia, too? How am I going to get over all of this?

But I found that the phobia was, compared to the ED, surprisingly easy to get over. I got a book on phobias, followed the instructions (which involved desensitization), and got better.

I realize that this might not be the case for you and DEFINITELY encourage you to see a therapist, but I wanted to let everyone with phobias know that it may be easier to deal with than the ED.

wookus
12-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Welcome back Pixie :bounce

I don't really know what to tell you about the phobias. I have a pretty big fear of heights. It makes it really challenging to drive because every time I go over a bridge or in some cases freeway exchanges I get real anxious. I have a stratagy to get me through those times that keeps me safe and those around me.

I think maybe that is what you need to do with the food issues. Find a stratagy to deal with the anxiety and still allows you to eat what you need to.

I became determined quite some time ago that I was not going to let fear run my life. So even though I am affraid I push through it and make stratagies to deal with it at the time.

I hope you are well.

Brooke :lubdub

Faitheternity
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a phobia of ELECTRICITY :sad

I've had therapy to help me and now I can switch on a plug and unplug things without shutting my eyes.

But if there is a powercut, I start crying and screaming.

I just think everyone is going to be electrocuted, I have so many nightmares. I got the fear when I was little someone told me horrible stories about being electrocuted.

People also think it's hilarious(ugh) and yours is not weird at all. I'm recovering from OCD and I used to have to have everything even which is kind of similar.

Jaedyn
12-20-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm scared of gum and I have no idea why.

Living For Horses
12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't know if my fear of holes or clusters is indeed a full blown fear - but I can tell you it wigs me out to the point of feeling nauseous and having to look away from those types of things.

Here's the other thing that I have never acknowledged as a fear but I think it is: Some of the younger fish may not know what I am talking about but here it goes. Years ago when you made "home movies" it was done on something called Super Eight film. Growing up my brothers and sister and I made countless "productions" - well, if the film gets stuck in the projector (I am assuming this is the cause) it can burn up. On screen it appears as a cluster of bubbly holes - it has ALWAYS made me sick, ever since I was little. In fact, I got woozy typing the description. Does anyone know what I am talking about with regard to the burning of film? OMG. It puts me into a world of panic and hurt.

I can't watch any of our old movies, to this day because I am not willing to subject myself to the possibility of a burn.

It's so messed up.

Needless to say, I totally understand the holes/clusters thing - I may have to bring that one to my T at some point. Ugh.

slracf
12-27-2007, 06:54 PM
had no idea so many others had the same problem. i wanted to find out the scientific term for my fear of clusters, specifically holes and boils, when i came across this blog. unfortunately it's slightly made it worse, as people list examples such as the back-birthing frog. i hope to never see that as long as i live. i just found out that the frog is now extinct due to deforestation.

i break out in hives whenever i have visual contact. anyone else?

Swiss/German descent
12-29-2007, 02:12 AM
I don't know if I have a phobia per se. But some things like the peeling skin on a TV commercial gross me out really bad and I have a hard time getting those pictures out of my head. I wonder if it's an OCD thing?

I have a friend that has some unusual phobias too.

I have an appointment with a mental health counselor but I've got so many other things to talk about that are bothering me a whole lot more.

But if these issues are really affecting you I would talk to a counselor familiar with phobias, or OCD and or other anxiety disorders.

pixiecixie
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
OMG ----- I'm so not alone! It's nuts how many of us have this phobia...of clusters.
Please let's not even talk about frog back thing...BLEGH or honeycomb. I ttlly relate :hugon phery_dust :hugoff I am all itchy just reading about this all...
I gotta stop before this gets outta hand....
It's also wierd that we all have the same kind of physical reactions, naseous, itchy...I get angry and upset too and it turns into this OCD type thing, I have to really struggle to get it all out of my mind afterwards.

Hugs and support to us all.
Have NO clue how to move beyond this, one day God willing, a therapist will help me.
Currently in no therapy.

:ummm
pxcx

K.elepu
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
:cutiePiXIE:cutie

WoW!:zoinks A Ton of people seem to have this fear. It's really strange. I never even thought about it until I read your first post, but when I was reading about all the different images of the clusters I was feeling very nauseous all of a sudden.

I wonder why so many of us :fishy here have this. I think it could possibly be related to our relationship with food as well. This is by far extremely weird and I couldn't believe how sick I was getting just thinking about them. Even now I feel like I could throw up.

Thanks for the post! If anyone finds out why this is, I would love to know about it. Keep us updated!

K.elepu :bandwagon

pixiecixie
03-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Don't think it has anything to do with food or ED because my mom and sister both have the fear of clusters (we didn't all know that all of us had it till a few years ago when we were watching the advert for the movie "HOLES).

eden
03-05-2008, 09:27 AM
i have a very strange phobia. i'm afraid of fuzz! seriously. fuzz is ok if it's attached to a sweater, but not if it's detached. i don't want it touching me, on me, in my hair, or on other people. it freaks me out.

cozyheart
03-24-2008, 04:36 PM
OMG!! I was just watching something on the discovery channel and kept seeing tubular tenticles and honeycomb patterns. I had to look away and I explained to my husband that I always have the urge to grind my teeth and look away whenever I see patterns like this. I was just curious if anyone else has this weird reaction, so I tried googling it:cheshire and found this site. I see alot of people feel very disturbed or grossed out by these patterns as well. Does anyone also have the urge to grind their teeth when they see a honeycomb pattern?

Thanx everyone for sharing. Glad I'm not alone on this.

VerboseMermaid
03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
OMG, I have this! My family has always joked about it, saying that I'm a little autistic! I never knew there was a name for it!

I have strong aversions to textures and patterns involving clusters. I feel nauseated and it gives me the chills; I have to look away. I have to go Google this...

pixiecixie
03-30-2008, 03:06 AM
I don't grind my teeth but I itch, get goosebumps and feel extremely agitated. I also fear the word "pore" being said aloud...just because well of my phobias...It;s a mystery but not as uncommon as we thot apparently!