PDA

View Full Version : I think husband is bulimic

dlovesj
01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
I've thought this for a while now and even approached him twice- most recently on Sunday. He of course denies it and gets completely enraged. I dont really notice any severe binging but he definitely throws up sometimes after meals. I started noticing it a few years ago- after dinner I would go outside to smoke and he would always be in the bathroom when I came back in. I started monitoring his bathroom habits and saw the evidence around the toilet. One day about a year ago I approached him and he denied til he was blue in the face. I didnt back down though- I had looked under the door and saw that he was leaned over the toilet, I heard him gagging and vomiting- there was no denying it. Finally a few hours after the confrontation he confessed but said that it was stress related, etc. We were moving that day so he just claimed to be really stressed out.

Things seemed to have gotten better in the past **** months or so but now Im concerned again. I know for a fact he is making himself throw up and all I want is to get him some help- but how do I help him if he wont admit there is a problem. I dont know what to do. He just gets angry when I approach him. I understand he is ashamed but how do get him to open up to me. I have dealt with my own eating issues in the past. Its not like I am totally clueless when it comes to eating disorders- so you would think he would feel like he could talk to me. I know that getting him to admit the problem is only the first step and that there will be a long road ahead- but how do I get him to even take that first step. Im so desperate for someone to give me some insight.

sweetsugarbear
01-17-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

I think it's a good idea not to pressure him. I once had bulimia (now struggle w/ anorexia) and in my opinion it was more difficult than anorexia. I don't know what kind of eating issue you had.

It is normal for him to be defensive. Recovery is a decision he has to decide. I think the main thing you can do is pray for him and be there for him if he decides to talk about it.

This is a difficult topic......but we are here for your support. Remember that it isn't your fault and he loves you. love, Lydia

MrFishy
01-18-2006, 09:24 AM
D,

Id like to offer the link to the Family and friends Board .....

http://fishybb.something-fishy.org/

There you will be able to find the support you need to be able to hold your husbands hand thru his healing.

Good Luck!