PDA

View Full Version : Boost and Ensure Recipes

breegirl
01-13-2006, 06:16 PM
So I am pretty new to the whole recovery things, but I am on the right track and am not restricting. On top of all the food and snacks I am eating, my nutritionalist suggested Boost and Ensure to give me some more extra concentrated calories.

Well, after drinking those things over and over again you kinda get tired of them, so I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes using Ensure or Boost flavors- i think chocolate and vanilla are the main ones.

Tonight I am going to try to eat frozen Ensure like ice cream and even though I would mix in peanut butter with my chocolate boost for a different twist.

Well.... if anyone has any neat ideas let me know. This could be a fun and interesting post for the :bowl ....
Be creative. :yay

breegirl :happy

ymc
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
*shudder* Ensure ..... blech.

Try www.ensure.com .... they used to have recipe ideas, though I've never tried any.

A good strategy is to dilute your Ensure with ice; that made it easier to swallow for me. But BE SURE TO EAT THE ICE afterwards so you are not missing extra cals (I know that sounds ridiculous, but every little bit is important when you are on weight gain)

breegirl
01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Sorry you feel that way... :sad

Is it really that bad? I tried a chocolate Boost Plus shake for the first time today. It wasn't bad... :cheesy

I haven't tried Ensure yet, but hopefully I will like it. I might try adding some fruit to the vanilla. Sad though... I wanted to eat it frozen like icecream and it has been in the freezer for over **** hours and still isn't frozen yet!!! :ohboy Does Ensure not freeze? Weird

breegirl :lubdub

AmieLynn
01-13-2006, 09:16 PM
They also make Boost Pudding....it is really good!! I find those easier to eat than the shakes

ymc
01-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Some people prefer Boost Plus to Ensure Plus .... once I got used to Ensure Plus, I found Boost Plus to be too sweet .... it's all a preference thing.

I got REAL sick of them after IP, where I had to drink upwards of two a day ... not pleasant. I hope you are looking forward to the days when you don't need supplements!! Real food is much better, I swear!! lol

violinist
01-13-2006, 09:45 PM
ymc- I never thought of eating the ice afterwards to get the extra calories... :wacky

yeah, I'm getting sick of those drinks too, and I don't even have them that often. I have the plus which I find extra disgusting. :ugh

I read a recipe on one of them, to blend the strawberry flavour with ice and strawberries... I haven't tried it but it sounded ok.

Tania :parrot

Summer_Raen
01-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah! Make smoothies! I'm kind of a smoothie addict...maybe chocolate Ensure with a banana, or strawberry with a banana, or choco-nana-peanut butter smoothies! Haha sorry, I'm not the creative-est when it comes to this kind of thing :confused But I found a great Boost recipe page...http://www.boost.com/recipes.html

ymc
01-13-2006, 11:14 PM
:hugon Tania :hugoff

I didn't either until I was IP and they made us eat the ice .... which I thought was a little :wacky but if you notice, Ensure freezes to ice cubes REALLY fast ... so you do lose some of it that way (not a good thing). Either let the ice melt completely into the Ensure (not bad) or eat the leftover cubes.

sprinkle
01-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Ensure does freeze, i know someone who even after re-gaining her weight still has them cos she likes them and makes good ice cream. I have just started have ensure. We dont have boost here so cant tell you much about it.

-sprinkle-

LouisaN
01-14-2006, 12:57 AM
I spent fifteen bucks on a blender and have gotten good use from that! Maybe Boost with a little ice cream and strawberries? I love milkshakes...especially with real fruit and not just fake fruit-flavored sugar! :cheesy

twinkletoes
01-14-2006, 10:30 AM
this doesn't involve ensure or boost (because, personally, unless ip i prefer to restrain from them entirely) ... but, it is a concentrated source of calories, drinkable and quiet tasty. i'm also sure that you could cut the yogurt in half and at some boost in it for added nutrients. i use one cup of regular yogurt (vanilla - for me), two T of peanut butter, and a bananna. then i just blend it all in the blender. if you want it a little thicker let it sit in the refridgerator for a little bit. hope this helps!

tbake
01-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I always just added milk to my ensure. That way it wasn't as sweet and I didn't have to deal with two beverages at my meals- just the one big one (which was somehow easier on my brain :wacky). Also, I agree with :hugon ymc :hugoff and the ice chips idea. Ice chips are better than ice cubes because they dilute the ensure faster and are easier to eat once all the liquid is gone (we had to eat the ice in ip too! :winky).

Whatever you try, :zoinks DON'T :zoinks try putting ensure in coffee!!! I tried it one time thinking it would work perfectly...but let's just say the ensure didn't appreciate being added to a hot beverage :sarcasm :ugh

Good luck, and way to be so positive about trying to make your weight gain meal plan somewhat enjoyable :yay

LilJulie
01-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Actually, I really liked Ensure. When I moved back to Germany my doc prescribed me something similar called Palenum and it was just horrible! :ugh

I worked out several ways of including my Ensure in my daily mp:
I used it combined with a banana blended in instead of milk with my morning cereal. For that one, I liked vanilla flavour best.

Before going to bed, I'd have kind of a smoothie: Mix Ensure with regular yoghurt and fresh fruit. I also poured it onto ice cubes because it made it easier to drink. Add a straw and some decoration and there you go, a nice sundowner. :winky

I prefer regular food, though. Milkshakes being especially yummie! :grin

:love
Julie

breegirl
01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
This morning I used to vanilla ensure in place of milk in my oatmeal. I also added some bananas to it and cooked it up in the microwave for around two and a half minutes (for a half cup of oatmeal and one container of ensure).

It tasted really good- creamy and not too sweet. :winky Plus I got extra calcium and calories through the ensure than regular milk. :yay

Just an idea of those of you who like to create your own concotions. :supergrin

breegirl :hairy

sofaraway
01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Can you get enlive drinks instead of ensure for a bit of a change. They are fruit based drinks instead of milkshake style, and come in loads of different flavours. Maybe they are only avaliable in the Uk?

genocideboy
01-14-2006, 08:53 PM
chocolate boost blended with a banana. :bounce

ensure is pretty gross. well, vanilla is okay, but sometimes you'll get curds at the bottom. :ugh

lima
01-14-2006, 09:16 PM
I dont know where you are but both Ensure and Boost have a wider variety of flavors. When I first started taking them about ten years ago they only had strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. Now I know they have mocha (thats my favorite flavour), butter pecan (love that one too), banana, fruity ones, etc... You can also do half chocolate and half vanilla to do a choc/vanillal swirl.

Shake them really well and sip it with a straw! A lot easier.

ymc
01-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I believe Boost and Ensure PLUS still only come in Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry ..... when I was IP, we only got Vanilla or Chocolate :ugh

Regular Boost and Ensure is a different story ..... more flavor options, at least the last time I was purchasing supplements (several months ago) ..... but lower in cals than Ensure Plus (this is not a good thing if you're on weight gain -- but drink whatever your N/doc suggested)

:hugon Lima :hugoff has a great suggestion re: the straw -- MUCH easier, though I'm not quite sure why....

lima
01-15-2006, 08:40 AM
:hugon YMC :hugoff
They do have plus flavours in more varieties. Especially Butter pecan and Chocolate Mocha! :grin At IP They gave us prescribed supplements called Resource PLus and those only came in choc or van.

Keep a can open and sip on it everytime you go to the fridge. Makes it easier! Also at IP they wouldnt let us put ice on it nor anything to change the flavour. :ugh

IVe also had my supp with a bowl of cereal. Makes it easier and I would do it instead of milk. !!!

kysweetheart
01-15-2006, 09:44 AM
So I am pretty new to the whole recovery things, but I am on the right track and am not restricting. On top of all the food and snacks I am eating, my nutritionalist suggested Boost and Ensure to give me some more extra concentrated calories.

Well, after drinking those things over and over again you kinda get tired of them, so I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes using Ensure or Boost flavors- i think chocolate and vanilla are the main ones.

Tonight I am going to try to eat frozen Ensure like ice cream and even though I would mix in peanut butter with my chocolate boost for a different twist.

Well.... if anyone has any neat ideas let me know. This could be a fun and interesting post for the :bowl ....
Be creative. :yay

breegirl :happy

i'm on pediasure and what i do is freeze the pediasure in the freezer until it is hard and it tastes like ice cream! :cheesy :cheesy also you could put it in a blender with some fruit and blend it and either freeze that slightly or eat it like it is! :gimmehug :gimmehug

flying_nun
01-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Oh my God.
I saw this thread and just had to reply. I'm on weight gain, but am nowhere near as good as you guys seem to be! When I see Ensure in the hospital where I go for op, I just shudder :ugh
And yet here you are talking about these recipes; combining all my scary foods! Who would have thought recoering anorexics would be as amazinly brave as you guys? Peanut butter, bananas, ansure.. All so healthy and yet I could get a heart attack if someone told me I'd be eating something like that for a snack..! :scared
I just had to congratulate you all. :yay You deserve to be so proud, you are doing such a great thing for yourselves :cheshire
Good luck with the recipes :lubdub :gimmehug :gimmehug :gimmehug

Summer_Raen
01-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh my God.
I saw this thread and just had to reply. I'm on weight gain, but am nowhere near as good as you guys seem to be! When I see Ensure in the hospital where I go for op, I just shudder :ugh
And yet here you are talking about these recipes; combining all my scary foods! Who would have thought recoering anorexics would be as amazinly brave as you guys? Peanut butter, bananas, ansure.. All so healthy and yet I could get a heart attack if someone told me I'd be eating something like that for a snack..! :scared
I just had to congratulate you all. :yay You deserve to be so proud, you are doing such a great thing for yourselves :cheshire

I get what you're saying! Right now I'm just drinking regular Ensure (no, I'm not forced to by a doctor- I add it by choice so I get the protein, vitamins, etc etc that I don't get from normal meals). The thought of Plus-Calories Ensure freaks the hell out of me, and at this point adding a banana AND peanut butter seems pretty overwhelming. But luckily, we have all these girls for inspiration and encouragement, and I'm actually seriously considering picking up a Plus can and freezing it!

kysweetheart
01-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh my God.

Oh sweety! i just wanna hug you! :gimmehug :gimmehug you can do it! you will one day find the courage to get better, to want to get better! and i am not brave, i am as scared as hell! but i realize i want to live and to live i do have to eat, you have to put everything into perspective and say to yourself this one little cookie can not add a whole pound to me! you have to do what scares you to over come it and yes it is really scary but i have realized that once i eat a 'scary' food it is not so scary anymore! if ya wanna talk, i am here ok? :gimmehug :gimmehug

joangel
01-15-2006, 06:45 PM
oooh mannn, Ensure... :ugh
I remember having to drink four cans of Ensure when I was IP at one point. That was TRAUMATIZING!!!

Anywayy, back to your question: I definitely suggest drinking it with ice. Personally, I prefer the taste of Boost...but it really depends. Sometimes generic brands taste even better. I personally think the Eckerd's brand is less obnoxiously sweet and more palatable. [I had to check nutritional value though.] Just experiment with flavors!

Good :clover!

annastarlet
01-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I used to have to drink that stuff too! :reallymad lol, it was really gross!

I remember telling my doc I hated it, so he told me I could also drink Nestle's diet drinks or Slimfast diet drinks (in addition to everything else). I liked those a lot better!

ymc
01-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Just wanted to point out that Slim Fast and other shakes that are "similar" to Ensure might have the same caloric content but not the same nutritional content (fats, vitamins, etc.) so be sure to clear it with your doc before making a switch.

annastarlet
01-15-2006, 10:41 PM
my post seemed to have gotten erased. I don't know why!

Anyway, when I was really sick and just got out of the hospital, I HATED ensure and boost, so I talked to my doctor and he said I could instead swap it with Nestle's diet drinks or a Slimfast. But of course, you use it the same as Ensure or Boost and they say it has the same amount of calories and nutrients in it. You might want to ask your doc before you try that, but I felt like those were still chalky, but less. Its all pretty much the same thing, just as long as you're using them like boost/ensure

ymc
01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
That is good to know re: Slim Fast.

Luckily I am OFF OF SUPPLEMENTS! Once I stabilized at a normal weight, those were the first to go (under my N's supervision, of course) .... the sooner you can get back to eating normal food, the better. Ensure, etc. are crutches during weight-gain and times of difficulty .... the end goal is to be rid of them altogether (sorry if that freaked anyone out -- I'm just pointing it out because I NEVER thought I would be able to eat enough w/out my supplements and I can .... so I have faith in all of you as well :shy )

annastarlet
01-15-2006, 10:50 PM
For sure!

I remember freaking out because altogether the two Slimfasts were x amount of calories and then the doctor wanted me to EAT too! I remember crying over that. Just shows how much EDs can really take over your life.