PDA

View Full Version : Former US gymnast on "Starting Over" this week

fetskoli
02-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Beginning on Tuesday, February twenty-third, one of my favorite :usa gymnasts (Vanessa Atler) will be on the reality show "Starting Over." I've never actually seen the show itself, but I do like the premise of it from what I've heard and read.

http://www.startingovertv.com/showguide/index.html

joelle
02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I used to watch the show, and in my opinion it's become something rather negative...It's become more about hollywood, and drama, than actually helping these women unfortunately :ohboy ... However I liked Vanessa Atler as well. :supergrin

ribbon
02-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Joelle, I tried to send you an email but it came back undeliverable. Send me an email through this site with your new address :supergrin.

joelle
02-22-2005, 06:07 PM
I sent you my address...Hope you got it!

ricola
02-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I love Starting Over. Iyanla and Rhonda have a lot of wisdom between them. I personally think it's a positive show compared to most of Hollywood.

:love ric

saralee
02-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I agree w/ricola(is that like REEEE-COLLA!!! ???)....I try to catch this show whenever I can. I usually see one or two episodes a week. Sometimes, though, things do seem a little contrived. But all in all, it's a great show!

:love Sara :bandwagon

ricola
02-23-2005, 11:09 PM
ricola(is that like REEEE-COLLA!!!)
Yes! :supergrin

:love ric

Amsters
02-24-2005, 06:40 PM
I thought http://www.intlgymnast.com mentioned a really good description...

on the other hand, this might need to be closed because of the :idea of not talking about people with a history of an eating disorder - it's something she's admitted previously.

On Tuesday, Feb. ********, former U.S. national champion Vanessa Atler will make her debut onto the daytime reality series "Starting Over."
Atler, who finished filming the episodes earlier this month, described the experience in a recent online diary.

"I entered the house and from then on my life has never been the same," wrote Atler. "Little did I know taking one of the biggest risks of my life would change my life so forever."

Now in its second season, "Starting Over" features a group of women trying to improve their lives. The women, who share a house together, meet with two life coaches and a psychologist to discuss their various problems. When a woman has made significant progress, she moves out of the house and a new member moves in. All of it is captured on camera.

Atler was a two-time national all-around champion, winning the junior title in **************** and a share of the senior title in '********. She finished sixth at the **************** U.S. Olympic trials, but was not selected to make the team. Since then, she has admitted struggling with an eating disorder and depression.

"Before deciding to go on the show those who I told were trying to stop me," Atler wrote. "Everyone was against it. But I thought what reputation? It's not like I was some star that needed to hold up the lies. I was tired of the lies pretending to be happy and ready to expose myself. I had to pretend a lot (lie) when I was on TV in gymnastics and I was constantly struggling with that. You couldn't say this, or that, or this, or that, because it could put you in a bad light and if you are not liked it made everything that much harder."

fetskoli
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Amsters, thanks for sharing the article--however, there were parts of it I think you could've chosen to edit out to follow the rules here.

Anyway, I really like how Vanessa's goal at the house is to develop a new identity for herself, just as many people here at SF are trying to do. She's trying to work past the feelings of failure and of doing things only to please others instead of being able to feel proud of herself. Again, I can relate, as I'm sure others here can. She said she enjoys performing, and would like to explore a career along those lines, such as being a choreographer. I think former gymnast Kim Zmeskal is doing something similar.

I really like Vanessa's positive attitude and how well she seems to get along with the others in the house. It's so nice to see ALL of the women coming to the house with a goal and taking steps to reach that goal. I've never watched the show before this week, and even though some of it might be edited weird or a teeny bit contrived, I think the show concept as a whole is a great venue for giving others hope. I know I've learned some things in the few episodes I've watched.

iamwhoiam
03-12-2005, 06:05 AM
is vanessa atler on now? if so when did you she join the show? does it still show at ******** cst?

fetskoli
03-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm REALLY glad you asked, because the upcoming week is just old reruns, and Vanessa will be seen on the show again starting March twenty-first. Her first day on the show was February twenty-second.

For more info, please click on the link in my original post at the top of the thread. If you follow the link to the message boards, there's a board for every woman currently in the house on the show.

You can also go HERE (http://s****.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=****************) where there is a great discussion going on about Vanessa on the show--"Vanessa Starts Over" board. The numbers are starred out in two places <sigh> The first number is just a two, and at the end there's onetwoninesix

fetskoli
05-29-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm so sad about what's happened to Vanessa! :sad

http://www.vanessascorner.com/whats_new.asp

Click on the May twenty-eighth journal to see her latest news. While I was glad to read some of the behind the scenes stuff from the show, she also disclosed what sounds to me like a really serious health issue! :scared

desiderata
05-30-2005, 10:48 AM
:surpriseWow, that is really sad about Vanessa Atler. Luckily though, it sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and is recovering nicely step by step. I wish her the best as she has overcome a lot and continues to do so.

Thanks for linking ot the site.

Dae

soccercutie
05-30-2005, 02:32 PM
this hits really close to home to me. since i have quit gymnastics, six years ago, i have been trying to find a new identity for myself too, because like Vanessa, gymnastics WAS my indentity. the ways i tried find my new identity was by self harm and eating disorders, and now finally i am in recovery. i am very proud of her for doing this. it takes a strong person to realize this sort of thing. i wish her the best of luck in finding a new identity. i wish i could watch it, but i can't because it is HUGE trigger for me. i actually met Vanessa once when she performed with the U.S team in my city and they had practice run at my training center. she was a really nice person. anyway, enough with my rambling. wow, what an amazing young woman.

love
holly

joelle
05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
That's heartbreaking :sad